Research Data Security
- Some categories of information may affect the legal or security status of Berkeley Lab and require additional controls. Please refer to the Controlled and Prohibited Information Categories Policy for more information.
- Research data security questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Participation in Research Restricted under the Science & Technology (S&T) Matrix
The Science & Technology (S&T) Risk Matrix is a means of protecting access to and managing intellectual property associated with emerging research areas and technologies with economic or national security impact. The majority of research performed at the Lab is not restricted, but it is important to understand where your research portfolio falls relative to these requirements and be vigilant in identifying changes in research scope or technology maturation level that could move the research into a different category. If your research were to move into a restricted category, additional controls would be necessary.
- To determine whether or not your newly planned research could be considered restricted under the S&T Risk Matrix, first consult with your Division Director for an initial determination and they will engage the appropriate Topic Area Subject Matter Expert (SME) as necessary.
- S&T Risk Matrix screening has been built into the appropriate review processes when planning new or revised research or onboarding new employees and affiliates. This includes:
- Newly proposed research engagements (SPPs, ACTs and CRADAs) through the Lab’s Strategic Partnerships Office,
- Development of a new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), and
- Foreign Travel.
- Check the Integrated S&T Risk Matrix Review Process to see where the screening steps have been included. Contact your Division’s Business Manager for guidance if you have a S&T restricted research project and plan to initiate a new proposal, MOU or travel that involves an engagement with a foreign entity from a country of risk (China, Iran, North Korea or Russia).
- Research projects that fall under the restricted category of the S&T Risk Matrix will require additional review and a dedicated data management plan.
- DOE O 142.3B – Unclassified Foreign National Access Program
- DOE O 486.1A – Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities
- DOE P 485.1A – Foreign Engagements with DOE National Laboratories
- DOE O 550.1 – Official Travel
- DOE O 481.1E – Strategic Partnership Projects
- DOE O 483.1B – DOE Cooperative Research and Development Agreements