Scientific research is a global undertaking and international engagement is of fundamental importance to Berkeley Lab. Our mission is to bring science solutions to the world. Research does not arbitrarily stop at national borders, and affiliations with foreign institutions, collaborative research, and scholarly exchanges are an essential part of the research enterprise. Berkeley Lab is proud to welcome exceptional researchers, staff, and affiliates from countries around the world. We remain committed to continuing and strengthening these relationships.
At the same time, we must recognize and address the U.S. government’s increased focus on foreign involvement in U.S. research. Disclosure of activities and management of international engagements ensures that research activities are transparent, conflicts of interests can be managed, and that the continued flow of scientific and technical information is consistent with the Department of Energy’s broad scientific mission.
This guidance is geared toward the Berkeley Lab community, especially researchers who are engaged in international collaborations and activities. This is a rapidly evolving landscape. We anticipate making regular updates.
- The Director of National Intelligence has released a collection of best practices in research security.
- The Office of Ethics, Compliance and Audit Services (ECAS) has developed four videos, each under 5 minutes long, to provide high level summaries on the following topics:
- Disclosures: Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment
- Talent Recruitment Programs
- International Collaborations
- Data Security