International Visitors and Affiliates
- Current status on visitor access is available through Security & Emergency Services (SES), Visitor Access.
- Affiliate information and requests are available through Human Resources, Affiliates.
- International visitor and affiliate questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Affiliates cannot participate in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs sponsored by countries of risk (presently China, Iran, North Korea or Russia).
- Certain Affiliates who provide uncompensated research support to their hosts (generally graduate students and post docs) and have funding from a country of risk may be restricted and require DOE approval in order to participate at Berkeley Lab.
International Activities and Affiliations Including Participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs
DOE Order 486.1A prohibits Berkeley Lab employees and some affiliates from participating in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as well as other activities sponsored or affiliated with the government of a country of risk.
More information is available on the DOE Order 486.1A Frequently Asked Questions page, and by contacting the Research Compliance Office (RCO).
- Affiliates are prohibited from participating in foreign government talent recruitment programs associated with a country of risk while engaged with Berkeley Lab. Countries of risk include China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia.
- In addition, Affiliates are restricted from participating in other foreign government sponsored or affiliated activities involving a country of risk if the engagement constitutes support for a Berkeley Lab PI.
- Support in this context means any work or activity, paid or unpaid, including employment, consulting, student internship, receipt of a scholarship or funding, honorary appointment, lab space or resources, or similar, that is sponsored or affiliated with the government, including public universities or entities, of China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia.
Watch Research Security Videos by The University of California:
- Talent Recruitment Programs (3 min 55 seconds)
- International Collaborations (3 min 50 seconds)
Affiliates with questions about participation in talent recruitment programs or other sponsored or affiliated activities associated with a country of risk can email email@example.com for guidance.